Should you take TOEFL, PTE or IELTS Test?
With globalization, the scope of education has gone beyond national as well as continental barriers. Thousands of Indian students go abroad every year to elongate their studies. To study abroad and get admission in a particular university, certain academic conditions have to be maintained. These conditions can be met by sitting for various competitive exams like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE. Good performances in these exams will not only allow you to study abroad but also give you the opportunity to avail various scholarships and other financial doles. Here is a comparative study of all the three tests:
About IELTS Exam
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is an English language assessment test which is taken by more than 2.2 million candidates every year.
- It assesses all aspect of the English language: reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- It is jointly organized by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
- IELTS Test is divided into four parts: Listening (30 minutes), Reading (60 minutes), Writing (60 minutes) and Speaking (11-14 minutes).
- IELTS has two formats namely IELTS Academic (for candidates wanting to study abroad in undergraduate or postgraduate level) and IELTS General Training (for candidates who wants to migrate for mainly work purposes to countries where the official language is spoken is English).
- There’s no such syllabus for this exam. However, if you take IELTS Coaching in Chandigarh then they will provide you with practice material on general topics like Music, Pop Culture, Privacy, Rehabilitation of criminals, the influence of Advertising, Food, and Health, Science and Technology, etc.
About TOEFL Exam
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a popular English proficiency test mainly for students from non-English speaking countries who want to enroll in any of the universities in the USA.
- It is conducted by the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- In TOEFL exam, the paper is divided into four parts: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
- In the reading section, you need to read 3-4 passages on general topics and answer 36-56 questions in about 60-80 minutes. In listening part, you will be made to listen to a college lecture, classroom discussions or a general conversation and answer 34-51 questions within 60-90 minutes.
- There are 6 and 2 tasks respectively for speaking and writing sections on general topics and has a time allotment of 20 and 50 minutes respectively.
- It is conducted in both online (TOEFL iBT) as well as offline mode (TOEFL PBT).
- The online format has the time duration of 3 hours 10 minutes to 4 hours 20 minutes while the offline format total duration is between 2 hours 20 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes.
About PTE Exam
- Person Test of English or PTE Test is an exam for assessing the skills of non-English speaking people who are seeking admissions in foreign colleges and universities, employment and also immigration in the foreign land.
- The PTE test is a computer-based exam which can be scheduled prior to 1 day before taking the examination.
- The PTE exam tests your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in English.
- To get used to the format of the exam, you can enroll in PTE coaching in Delhi. Taking PTE Coaching will help in fixing the weak areas under the guidance of experienced teachers.
- For speaking and writing part, it is divided into various sections like a personal introduction, read aloud, sentence repetition, image description, a retelling of lecture, essay, and summary writing. The reading section includes fill in the blanks, multiple choice questions and reordering of paragraphs. For listening part, there are fill in the blanks, highlight of incorrect words, dictation writing and summarization of spoken texts.
Difference between TOEFL, PTE, AND IELTS
- The IELTS test mainly is for students seeking admissions in British English nations while PTE and TOEFL are for American English speaking countries. This is why IELTS has better acceptance in UK and Australia while most MBA giving universities in the USA look out for TOEFL score. The acceptance of PTE is uniform throughout.
- PTE exam scores are determined only by the computer while IELTS and TOEFL also have assessments done by human beings.
- In IELTS, a candidate needs to speak face to face with a human rater while in TOEFL and PTE, he/she needs to speak into a microphone. For some candidates, human raters are more comforting while for others speaking into the microphone is more unnerving. Taking PTE, IELTS coaching is very important to adjust oneself to the variety of the patterns of these exams.
Since PTE is only computer-based, so it’s considered unbiased. It doesn’t contain long passages and the exam is faster and duration is shorter. In TOEFL, you need to deal more with multiple choice questions. In IELTS, you need to write essays and long summaries.
- TOEFL and IELTS have almost similar formats. TOEFL has 2 essays, 6 brief spoken responses and lots of multiple choice questions and fills in the blanks. In IELTS along with multiple choice questions and fill in the blanks, it has a spoken interview and 2 essays. The newest test, PTE has only one essay and it has around 20 different types of questions. Since the PTE format is new, it’s highly advisable to opt for PTE coaching in Jaipur to get enough practice of the new format test.
In IELTS exam, candidates can move backward and forward while attempting questions in various sections since it does not have section timing but in PTE due to the presence of section timings, candidates can move only in the forward direction.
- PTE declares the result within 5 days whereas TOEFL and IELTS declare the result after 10 days.
- All the exams are fairly equal, having many advantages and disadvantages though most students nowadays are preferring PTE due to its uniform acceptability and new more compact format. What’s important is that when you choose a University or College you want to study in, you must check which tests’ results they accept and then sit for the test accordingly.
Should you be looking for Best IELTS, PTE Coaching Institutes, click on the link below as per your city