SYLLABUS AND LIST OF BEST BOOKS FOR RAS EXAM
SYLLABUS AND LIST OF BEST BOOKS FOR RAS EXAM
Rajasthan Administrative Service Examination is a prestigious and important examination when it comes to the State of Rajasthan. It is conducted by Rajasthan Public Service Commission every year. Nearly every student who aspires to clear the RAS exam to take RAS coaching in Jaipur which caters one of the finest coaching institutes for preparation for RAS. These leading coaching institutes can also be located at RAS Coaching in Jaipur
SYLLABUS FOR RAS
Before discussing the best books, a candidate needs to refer and study for preparing for the RAS exam, it is important to highlight the syllabus of RAS. There are three stages for the exam. First stage is preliminary examination, second stage is Mains examination and third stage is Interview.
The pattern for the preliminary examination is objective in nature. There is only one paper and that carries 200 marks. The standard of the preliminary paper is that of a Bachelor’s Degree level and is conducted for the purpose of screening only. The syllabus consists of General Knowledge and General Science only. Again, the questions cover the mains syllabus for objective type as well wherein questions from History, Geography, Economics, Public Administration and Polity etc are always present. The most important factor to remember while attempting the Prelims examination is that there is negative marking and 1/3rd mark will be deducted for every wrong answer given by the candidate.
The written examination consists of four papers and the papers are descriptive and analytical in nature. Each paper consists of 200 marks and is to be attempted within 3 hours.
Paper-1 – General Studies-I: It has three units i.e. History, Economics and Sociology, Management and Business Administration.
Paper-2 – General Studies-II: It also has three units i.e. Logical Reasoning, Mental Ability and Basic Numeracy; General Science & Technology; Earth Science (Geography & Geology)
Paper-3 – General Studies – III: It also contains three units i.e. Indian Political System, World Politics and Current Affairs; Public Administration; Administrative Ethics, Behavior and Law
Paper-4 – General Hindi and General English
There is no set syllabus for the interview which is the final stage of the selection for the RAS. A candidate who does well in the interview has got fair chance to be finally selected and posted in the state civil service. The questions which are posted to the candidate are fairly simple in nature so that the general aptitude, confidence, personality and the seriousness of the candidate can be adjudged. At times, questions based upon the current affairs and awareness are asked to test the general knowledge of the candidate.
REFERNCE BOOKS FOR RAS
Now that you are aware of the syllabus of the exam, let us see which books are the best to refer while reading for the RAS coaching in Jaipur. The list of books mentioned below are easily available in Jaipur or online as well. Plus, mostly all the coaching institute would suggest you to read these books as a reference while doing self-study for the preparation.
For Preliminary Examination;
- the most important is to read the newspaper daily and make short notes of the recent development. Moreover, since the level of the exam as mentioned above is that of a Bachelor’s Degree examination, it is highly recommended to read the RBSE and NCERT Books starting from class 9th till 12th Besides these, for practising the objective questions, the past papers are also available which gives you a fair idea of what kind of questions comes and how much competitive the exam is. Further, for the subjects covering the mains papers, the books relevant to the mains examination are to be read for this exam as well. The secret is that you prepare for the mains examination reading these books and automatically you will be up and kicking for the prelims examination as well.
For Mains examination:
- For Geography of the Rajasthan, several books like Geography of Rajasthan by Dr. Lajpat Ray Bhalla, Pratiyogita Darpan Rajputana Rajasthan etc are very popular. Not to miss the NCERT’s and RBSE syllabus books and the MAPS of Rajasthan.
- For History, R.S. Sharma Ancient Indian History is a good book to be consulted. For Medieval History, Satish Chandra’s Medieval History and for Modern Indian History, Bipin Chandra’s A Brief History of Modern India are recommended. For Rajasthan History, RBSE’s History books are the best reference books besides History of Rajasthan by Dr. Gopinath Sharma. A book by B.L. Pangadia’s on the Freedom struggle of Rajasthan is another important book to be read for the history of rajasthan.
- Likewise for questions related to Economics and Polity etc as well, the books read during the Bachelor’s degree exams (commonly referred as standard books like Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth and Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh) and the NCERT’s are the best books to read and gear up for these exams.
- For Mathematics and reasoning, the infamous book of R.S. Aggarwal is the best book.
The above list is not exhaustive in nature. Yet these are one of the recommended books which have got recognition from the state wise toppers as well. A thorough reading of these books and some guidance while taking RAS coaching in Jaipur would surely lead to successful career in RAS for any candidate. Here’s wishing the best of 2018 for all the candidates aspiring for getting into civil administration through RAS.
Should you be looking for best institutes for RAS EXAM Coaching in Jaipur click here